VeganMoFo – Day 24: What would Tony Soprano eat if he was vegan.
Not only are the Sopranos not around anymore but neither is James Gandolfini (R.I.P). A classic deserves a classic. Here’s a good old Italian meal of penne with A spicy tomato sauce with smoked tofu and mock parmesan.
Spicy Tomato and Smoked Tofu Pasta for Tony Soprano
400g of plain or smoked tofu, sautéed or grilled until lightly crispy (for a tasty method to sauteé tofu see below)
2 teaspoons of olive oil
5 – 6 cloves of garlic, mince
2 (400g) tins of crushed tomatoes
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of dried red chilli powder (optional – if you like a bit of heat)
250g of your choice of pasta, cooked to package instructions (I used organic penne)
Mock Parmesan to taste
– Preheat as saucepan over medium-low heat.
– Add the oil and garlic, and sautée for about a minute, until fragrant, being careful not to let it burn.
– Add the remaining ingredients (except for tofu, pasta and mock parmesan), cover, and raise the heat a bit to bring to simmer.
– Simmer for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
– Then add the tofu and reduce the heat to low and let it cook for another 5 minutes just enough to allow the tomato sauce to soak into the tofu.
– Serve with your cooked pasta and sprinkle with mock parmesan
400g firm tofu
1 tablespoon of dehydrated vegetable stock (or powered equivalent)
2 tablespoons of soya sauce
1 tablespoon coconut oil
– Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan or wok over medium heat.
– Add the tofu and sautée until starting to get crispy
– Add the dehydrated vegetable stock and stir fry for a few minutes until tofu is covered
– Add 2 tablespoons of soya sauce and stir fry for a couple of minutes until tofu is covered and starting to caramelise. Then set aside in a bowl.