VeganMoFo – Day 24: What would Tony Soprano eat if he was vegan.
Not only are the Sopranos not around anymore but neither is James Gandolfini (R.I.P). A classic deserves a classic. Here’s a good old Italian meal of penne with A spicy tomato sauce with smoked tofu and mock parmesan.
400g of plain or smoked tofu, sautéed or grilled until lightly crispy (for a tasty method to sauteé tofu see below)
2 teaspoons of olive oil
5 – 6 cloves of garlic, mince
2 (400g) tins of crushed tomatoes
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of dried red chilli powder (optional – if you like a bit of heat)
250g of your choice of pasta, cooked to package instructions (I used organic penne)
Mock Parmesan to taste
– Preheat as saucepan over medium-low heat.
– Add the oil and garlic, and sautée for about a minute, until fragrant, being careful not to let it burn.
– Add the remaining ingredients (except for tofu, pasta and mock parmesan), cover, and raise the heat a bit to bring to simmer.
– Simmer for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
– Then add the tofu and reduce the heat to low and let it cook for another 5 minutes just enough to allow the tomato sauce to soak into the tofu.
– Serve with your cooked pasta and sprinkle with mock parmesan
400g firm tofu
1 tablespoon of dehydrated vegetable stock (or powered equivalent)
2 tablespoons of soya sauce
1 tablespoon coconut oil
– Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan or wok over medium heat.
– Add the tofu and sautée until starting to get crispy
– Add the dehydrated vegetable stock and stir fry for a few minutes until tofu is covered
– Add 2 tablespoons of soya sauce and stir fry for a couple of minutes until tofu is covered and starting to caramelise. Then set aside in a bowl.