Vegan Mofo Day 2010 – Day 13
We’re busy packing our house at the moment getting ready for the big move on Monday which is both scary and exciting. Obviously packing is exhausting so today we didn’t have the time or energy for making a big meal – but we did want something fast and healthy. So instead of getting take-aways we took the healthier option and made a meal in under ten minutes with store bought goods.
– Enough vegetable oil (of your choice) for stir-frying
– 1 small red onion – sliced thinly
– Packet pre-sliced of mixed stir-fry veggies (any combination of your choice : red and green peppers, celery, mini corn, baby marrows/courgettes/zucchini, Chinese cabbage or normal cabbage, bok choi, etc)
– Packet of Udon noodles (I know they’re not Thai)
– Thai stir-fry sauce (ours was store bought but you can make your own my making a mixture by blending coconut milk, soya sauce, white wine vinegar peanut or sesame oil, crushed ginger, crushed garlic, thinly diced fresh green or red chillies, lemongrass, coriander, salt and black pepper
– Optional : your own favourite stir-fry friendly soy / seitan or tofu combination
(NB : the trick to stir-fry is literally that – continue to stir while frying … duh. Don’t let the veggies stick or over cook on any one side)
Pre-heat the pan on a high heat and then add the oil once the pan if hot. Shortly afterwards add the onion and stir-fry for a minute or two. Add the mixed veggies and stir-fry for a few minutes just to coat the veggies and cook them slightly without taking the crispiness away. Add the thai stir-fry sauce ( and your soya/seitan/tofu if you’re using either). Stir-fry long enough for the flavours to blend and then add the udon noodles. Once the udon noodles are heated through your meal is ready.
Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves if you have and maybe throw on some fresh lemon lime juice for a bit of a punch.
Voila!! An easy, healthy and tasty meal in under 10 minutes.